As first reported in our sphere by Arnaud, Investopedia.com was acquired by Value Click for $42 million in cash. Founded in 1999, Investopedia provides visitors with a glossary of financial terms, news articles, tutorials and education tools. The multiple used is roughly x8 the 2010 EBITDA, a bit higher than multiples used to value FxPro and FXCM’s upcoming IPOs.
Investopedia.com boasts the following statistics:
Viberate Teams Up with Blockparty to Deliver World’s First Live Event NFTGo to article >>
- 2.2 million unique U.S. visitors per month (comScore, June 2010)
- 5.1 million visits (DoubleClick Ad Planner, July 2010)
- 18 million page views (DoubleClick Ad Planner, July 2010)
- 3.1 million newsletter and 1.7 million e-mail subscribers, and 1.3 million stock simulator users
- $10 million of revenue and $5 million in adjusted EBITDA
- nearly 30,000 pieces of evergreen financial related content and develops an additional 7,000 pieces of content each year
- generates the majority of its traffic organically
- monetizes primarily by selling cost-per-impression display advertising
Although not directly forex related it’s an interesting comparative figure which will surely be used in our market segment, when and if, portals/forums acquisition deals will be made.