The Singapore Exchange (SGX) has published its June’s market statistics, showing a total securities market turnover of S$38 billion ($27.28 billion) – a 74 percent year-on-year jump.
The securities daily average volume (SDAV) also surged by 50 percent year-on-year to S$1.73 billion ($1.24 billion).
The exchange-traded fund (ETF) market took the biggest forward leap of 138 percent year-on-year to touch S$487 million ($349.74 million) – the SPDR STI ETF traded 10 times higher y-o-y at S$210 million ($150.81 million) with fund size crossing the S$1 billion ($718 million) mark during the month.
According to the press release, the surged volumes are sending strong signals of market recovery with the reopening of the major economies following the COVID-19 induced global lockdown.
Growing demands in the futures market
The demand also jumped in the futures market as the total equity index futures traded volume on SGX rose 20 percent month-on-month in June to 14.5 million contracts, the highest in three months.
The Startup Helping Real Estate Websites Achieve ADA ComplianceGo to article >>
The SGX also recorded the exchange of 2.19 million foreign exchange (FX) futures contracts in June – a month-on-month jump of 10 percent. The exchange highlighted the growing institutional demand for managing risks behind this significant jump.
The exchange is also expanding its reach into the Asian FX futures market with the recent acquisition of an 80 percent stake in BidFX, a cloud-based FX trading platform for institutional investors. It was already holding the other 20 percent of the trading platform.
Last month, the exchange also launched 10 Singapore Single Stock Futures (SSFs) to meet the growing demand for a broader suite of Singapore-linked equity products and also announced its plans to introduce SGX FTSE Taiwan Index futures this month.
In June, markets all around the world have reported a healthy uptick following the slump in the market after the record March volatility.
Notably, the exchange also launches a $3.5 million response package in March for the listed-companies affected by the COVID-19 outbreak.