Leading FX and CFD specialist, FXCM, has reported its trading activity for August. The NYSE listed firm, saw volumes dip on a month on month basis, however, the broker saw remarkable growth in its institutional focused product from figures reported a year earlier. In the retail market, FXCM saw monthly trading volumes reach $307 billion in August, with daily average volumes reach $14.0 billion. In the institutional market, the firm traded $210 billion for the month, with a daily average of $9.5 billion.
FXCM (FXCM:N) shares closed at 19.66-0.04 (-0.20%) today.
Trading Places: Finding The Best Jurisdiction for Your BrokerageGo to article >>
August 2013, Retail Trading Metrics
- Retail customer trading volume (1) of $307 billion in August 2013, 21% lower than July 2013 and 13% higher than August 2012.
- Average retail customer trading volume per day of $14.0 billion in August 2013, 17% lower than July 2013 and 19% higher than August 2012.
- An average of 411,498 retail client trades per day, in August 2013, 10% lower than July 2013 and 28% higher than August 2012.
- Tradable accounts of 185,123 as of August 31, 2013, a decrease of 9,396 accounts, or 5% from July 2013, and a decrease of 22,537 accounts, or 11% from August 2012.
Institutional Trading Metrics
- Institutional customer trading volume of $210 billion in August 2013, 14% higher than July 2013, and 320% higher than August 2012.
- Average institutional trading volume per day of $9.5 billion in August 2013, 19% higher than July 2013 and 332% higher than August 2012.
- An average of 56,926 institutional client trades per day in August 2013, 29% higher than July 2013 and 861% higher than August 2012.
FXCM has been growing its institutional product as it positions itself as a strong player in the segment, two major initiatives include its partnership with Credit Suisse, to launch FastMatch an FX ECN and its purchase of Lucid Markets.