Leveraged products performed well at the Singapore Exchange (SGX), the international financial market place that offers multi asset trading in indices, commodities, bonds, equities and currency futures. The listed exchange saw a 32% upsurge in trading activity in its future and options division for the month of August.
The unpredictable state of affairs in India boosted trading activity on the Indian index contract, Nifty Index Futures; trading volumes were up 34%. The SGX offers a range of instruments for markets across the Asia-Pacific region including the; Nikkei 225, Nifty as well as Chinese and Indonesian instruments.
• Total securities turnover was S$27.3 billion, down 8% year on year. However, securities daily average value (SDAV) was down 4% to S$1.4 billion due to one less trading day in August 2013 compared to a year earlier.
• Catalist turnover increased nearly 5 times year on year to S$1.4 billion.
• Funds raised from bond listings decreased 52% year on year to S$5.5 billion. The biggest bond listed was a US$1 billion bond issue by Baidu.
Crypto Daily Sponsors Singapore’s 2019 Run for Light EventGo to article >>
• Total futures and options volume increased 32% year on year to 8.6 million contracts.
• Year on year, China A50 Index Futures volume more than doubled to 1.8 million contracts, and MSCI Taiwan Index Futures trading was up 13% to 1.6 million contracts. Nifty Index Futures volume was up 34% to 1.6 million contracts and reached a record daily average volume of 80,119 contracts. Nikkei 225 Index Futures volume was up 6% from a year earlier to 2.2 million contracts. MSCI Indonesia Index Futures volume increased nearly 9 times to a record 46,707 contracts and achieved a record daily average volume of 2,747 contracts.
• Month-end open interest was up 45% year on year to 3.5 million contracts.
• SICOM rubber futures volume was 29,261 contracts, up 46% from a year earlier.
• A total S$6.5 billion notional of new OTC financial derivatives transactions were cleared, down 19% from a year earlier.
• Volume of OTC commodities cleared increased 29% year on year to 49,667 contracts.
• Volume of iron ore swaps cleared increased 53% year on year to 45,610 contracts.
The Singapore Exchange will be launching currency futures in emerging market currency pairs this quarter. The Indian rupee has served well for the CME. SGX is expected to commence with strong operating metrics in the EM currencies. The SGX is a member of the World Federation of Exchanges and the Asian and Oceanian Stock Exchanges Federation.